Director of Residency Life
DIRECTOR OF RESIDENCY LIFE
Grande Sports Academy is a full-time residential academy focused on developing the best soccer talent and enabling young athletes to become outstanding soccer players. It’s home to the Real Salt Lake – Arizona Academy teams and is the only residency program in the United States affiliated with a MLS team – Real Salt Lake. This is where 45 student athletes from 15 different states and 4 foreign countries live, train and compete at the highest level for 11 months of the year. The goal for the 2012 academic year is 80 full time resident student athletes.
An athlete’s greatest dream is to play professionally. Grande Sports Academy is uniquely positioned to help our athletes accomplish that dream, while nurturing the importance of life skills and college preparatory academics.
This is where young adults reach an unparalleled level of mental and physical development to maximize their potential and achieve their individual goals. Our goal is to have every graduate earn a college scholarship offer, which they did last year.
The Director of Residency Life is a challenging and hands-on position which requires total commitment. The candidate must provide all aspects of customer service, including cultivating relationships and building rapport with parents and students to bring a comfort level to them when discussing their son’s attendance at the Academy. The Director of Residency Life must provide prompt client communication.
The Director of Residency Life must provide the highest level of personal and professional integrity and ethics. Have the ability to think strategically and have strong organizational skills. Have an understanding of the passion for sport with an innovative, energetic and self-motivated attitude. Be a goal setter with strong time-management skills. Be an excellent communicator with effective writing skills and the poise and ability to present oneself well to others.
A little background…
Grande Sports is made of two entities: Grande Sports World and Grande Sports Academy. Grande Sports World (GSW) is an internationally renowned training facility which 15 of the 19 MLS teams have trained or played games at the facility, including Seattle Sounders, Real Salt Lake, New York Red Bulls, New England Revolution, Chivas USA, Vancouver Whitecaps, Colorado Rapids, Portland Timbers and Montreal Impact and NASL’s FC Edmonton, the Canadian U23 National Olympic team and U17 World Cup teams for Rwanda and New Zealand along with two other New Zealand teams. We have also conducted and hosted MLS and NASL Combines. GSW also hosted US Soccer’s A, B and C coaching license course for 177 coaches from around the country. In 2010, GSW hosted the FIFA FUTURO III courses for 40 coaches located around the globe.
Adjacent to the facilities is the legendary Francisco Grande Hotel and Golf Resort. This oasis in the Arizona desert has been in business for 51 years and is an ideal location for vacation getaways, retreats, weddings or to house the visiting teams to Grande Sports World. The facilities are located 45 minutes south of Phoenix, Arizona.
What you’ll be doing…
- The Director of Residency Life is responsible for the total administration and operation of a resident community, including hiring, training and managing RA’s.
· Work with students to develop and maintain an atmosphere conducive to study and community living, and encourage students to take responsibility for developing a community atmosphere.
- Provide advice and support to students, including identifying problem situations, writing reports. Address student code of conduct violations and confront behavior when necessary. Determine and take appropriate corrective action and discipline.
· Cultivate relationships and create a re-assuring rapport with parents and students.
· Advise and provide appropriate referrals for all students in need of professional services. Assist the students to graduate from High School and work with the coaches to ensure the students receive college scholarships.
· Conduct and assist with the development of long and short-range goals. Develop and measure objectives, activities, and performance indicators based on department goals.
· Provide excellent communication with RA’s, Director of Recruiting, Director of Marketing, Soccer Coaches, Schools, Tutors, General Manager and Directors of Resort. Respond promptly to all “in-house” communications.
· Respond promptly to all client communications. Conduct an excellent follow-up system.
· Tour and inspect facilities to ensure building security and safety guidelines are met. Recommend modifications in policies and procedures to upgrade safety and security of facilities.
· Report maintenance problems to appropriate personnel, follow-up to ensure work is completed.
· Set appointments and meet parents and students who are interested in attending the Academy.
· Take parents, students and visitors on tours of the property when Director of Recruiting is not available.
· Prepare weekly reports on students with updates on injuries, academic progress and other items of interest to be passed along. Also do a monthly report to encapsulate all aspects of the month.
· Oversee, manage and supervise the Residency Advisors. Review the performance of staff including hiring, training, assigning work and employee evaluations. Work with RA’s to encourage growth and development. Teach time-management skills. Follow the policies and procedures of the company, including Core Values, Standards of Service and Appearance Standards.
· Provide RA’s with ongoing positive and constructive feedback. Handle individual concerns as they arise.
· Establish and guide RA’s in the implementation of departmental community building and resident outreach programs.
· Oversee and supervise the RA’s with the non-academic programs for the students, like hiking, sight-seeing, theatre visits, shopping trips, and so on.
· Possess a strong understanding and commitment to the development of students.
· Be involved with the students who come to the Academy for try-outs and camps, to establish programs outside of sports to prevent boredom.
· Set up a roster with yourself and the RA’s as to who is on site at all times and available to keep track of the students and their activities. There is to be at least one RA on property at all times.
· Set up a roster with yourself, the RA’s and Security to do room checks, bed-counts (note the Security Department is involved on 5 nights/week for bed-counts). Follow-up to ensure that room-checks and bed-counts are handled daily. Set up a reporting system for areas of concern to be directed back to you for follow-up.
· Set up a roster with yourself and the RA’s to dine with the students for their meals on site. Set up a roster with yourself and the RA’s to supervise students that their assigned areas for dining and relaxation are picked up and kept tidy and clean at all times.
· Set up a roster for emergency coverage. For instance, student doctor visits, last minute changes to transportation needs.
· Be a sounding board and a good listener to the students, whether it is home sickness, school issues, other student issues. Be available for them.
· Be familiar with the student’s rules and regulations. Follow the guidelines for counseling and disciplining the students as appropriate.
· Handle emergency or crisis situations appropriately as they arise.
· Initiate change and develop and implement new ideas to improve the quality of life within the residency hall.
· Oversee transportation to and from the facility for the resident students.
· Update Student Code of Conduct and On-Campus housing policies and procedures on an annual basis. Update Student Handbook.
· Attend weekly resort staff meetings. Discuss updates for the past week and upcoming events.
Skills you’ll need to succeed…
· BA or greater in Behavioral Science, or related field and minimum of three years of Residence Hall experience. Counseling skills.
· Knowledge of student development theory and practice.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective student and staff relationships.
· Skill in mentoring, and in providing leadership to students.
· Supervisory skills.
· Skill in organizing, developing solutions to a variety of problem situations.
· Skill in dealing with a variety of highly confidential information, records and sensitive situations in an effective manner.
· Presentation skills. Skill in gathering, compiling, and presenting information in oral and/or written form. Excellent computer skills, to include Microsoft Office, Word, Excel.
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with staff, students and the public. Skills in working in a diverse multi-ethnic, multi-cultural population.
· Ability to work independently. Must be able to multi-task and see projects through to completion in a timely manner.
· Knowledge of administrative practices; organizational skills.
· Ability to analyze situations, develop solutions and make independent decisions.
· Strong work ethic. High level of responsiveness and professionalism.
· Goal setter, who is organized with attention to detail.
· An innovative, energetic and self-motivated attitude.
· Poise with ability to present oneself well to others.
· Work Director/Senior Level hours and respond to business demands.
· Ability to walk the property, climb stairs and be outdoors.
Contact us…Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out websites: http://www.grandesportsacademy.com/ http://www.franciscogrande.com/